Notes from around Ohio and Kentucky……
- ’12 Pickerington Central SG Caris Levert has signed with Michigan. The 6’5 long range specialist is a former Ohio U commit but requested his release after the departure of coach John Groce to Illinois. Levert chose Michigan over Purdue, Iowa, Xavier, and Dayton.
- ’12 Westerville North PF Tavion Thomas has signed to play at Columbus State Community College next season. Thomas, a very good athlete with power, joins fellow Ohio prospects Keevin Tyus (Cincinnati West High SG/SF) and Terry Hopewell (Columbus Independence PF/C) as Columbus State newcomers.
- ’13 Cincinnati Withrow PF Devin Williams recently told TDP that Xavier, UCLA, and Ohio State are the three schools that stick out the most to him in his recruitment at this point. Speculation is rampant that Williams has dropped West Virginia from his list, as the Mountaineers already have two big men committed in the class of 2013.
- ’13 Napoleon SG Jordan Lauf reports that he has attained offers from Toledo, Bowling Green, and Ohio University over the last month. The shooter is one of the top wings in the state of Ohio.
- Three of Ohio’s top shooters in the 2013 class are also seeing their recruiting stock blow up. Chase Lawson (Sardinia Eastern SG), Zack Denny (Germantown Valleyview SG), and Jalen Rhea (New Albany SG) are all beginning to see different levels of low-mid major division one interest after a hot start to their AAU season.
- ’13 Toledo Rogers PG Tony Kynard reports heavy interest from Bethune-Cookman and Kennesaw State; both Division I’s from the south.
- Breakout players in Kentucky: 6’6 PF Jackson Davis (’14 Lafayette), 6’6 PF Kelan Martin (’14 Louisville Ballard) and 6’7 PF Shane Hall (Johnson Central) are all emerging as mid-major recruits, possibly even higher in Hall’s case. Look for these three to attract more scholarship offers as the season progresses.
Top Players from Adidas May Classic
TDP didn’t get a chance to spend much time at AMC in Bloomington this weekend but here are the prospects that stood out in the time we were there…. ***Teams not mentioned here were not able to be viewed this weekend by TDP***
Fist it was the Louisville Magic team who made it all the way to the gold finals in 17u before losing to the Eric Gordon All Stars. Impressively, the Magic made it to the finals in the 17u division while playing almost all 16u aged players.
- Derek Willis – ’13 Louisville Bullitt East SF/PF (Committed to Kentucky)
- Quentin Snider – ’14 Louisville Ballard PG (Committed to Louisville)
- D’Angelo Russell – ’14 Montverde Academy (FL) SG
- Jordan Green – ’14 Lexington Henry Clay SF/PF
- Trey Grundy – ’14 Lexington Henry Clay SF/PF
- Brandon Hatton – ’14 Dixie Heights SG
Martin’s Wolverines also had an impressive run, including a victory in their super pool over Eric Gordon All Stars.
- Dontonio Wingfield Jr – ’13 Cincinnati Lockland SG
- Antonio Woods – ’14 Cincinnati Summit PG
- Maverick Morgan – ’13 Springboro C
- Cole Murray – ’13 Delhi (IN) SF/PF
- Jaylon Brown – ’13 Fishers (IN) PG
- Jalen Rhea – ’13 New Albany SG
Other prospects that stood out:
- Edmond Early – ’13 Dayton Thurgood Marshall PG (Shining Stars-Schaefer)
- Jamar Hammonds – ’13 Trotwood Madison SF (Shining Stars-Schaefer)
- Deiontay Waiters – ’13 Colerain PG (Shining Stars-Moman)
- Terry Cook – ’13 Cincinnati Hughes SG (Shining Stars-Moman)
- Bryan Porter – ’13 Colerain SG/SF (Shining Stars-Moman)